Friday, December 14, 2007

Silent Night


Silent Night, Holy Night
All is calm, all is bright

This morning as I was drinking my coffee I decided to put on our Josh Groban Christmas album, and in an instant our downstairs was filled with the sounds of Silent Night. For the first time, I let the words of that song really sink in. As the song continued to play, I stared at our Nativity Scene and saw the Shepard's and Wise men bowing before Him. Then, the meaning of the song hit me.

A lot of people find this song ironic. They say "How could it have been a silent night? They were in a barn with a newborn baby. Of course it was loud." I, too, have had those same thoughts until today.

God showed me this song had little to do with the natural relm, but had everything to do with the spiritual relm. Jesus came to earth to save and redeem us. The night He was born signified hope. All was calm and bright because He was born and willing to take on our sins. I have this feeling that at the moment of His birth, all of heaven was quiet; standing in awe and reverence of baby Jesus. Which makes that night one silent and holy night :-)

So next time you sing or hear this song, think of the spiritual relm. You will never view this song as ironic again, I garantee it.

May God bless each and every one of you this Christmas Season. May the hope that He brought that night fill your homes and hearts!

3 comments:

Shadraq said...

What a great thought. I think in the Bible there is only one instance where "heaven was silent". What a neat thought.

Shadraq said...

Your family must be freakin' amazing

a woman who is said...

Merry Christmas Tiff!